Restricted Use Driver's License

A driver who had his or her license suspended or revoked under VTL Sections 318 or 510, can obtain a restricted use license after getting permission from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Accordingly, pursuant to VTL Section 530 a restricted use license is available when a license is necessary for “employment, business, trade, occupation or profession, or to his [or her] travel to or from a class or course at an accredited school, college, or university or at a state supported institution of vocational or technical training.” In addition, a restricted use license can be used to get to and from a rehabilitation program which the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may require and specifies, as well as treatment or a medical examination specified in a written statement by a licensed medical practitioner.  A driver can also get a restricted use license to drive to and from a day care facility or similar facility which the motorist drives travels to on a routine basis while the motorist is at school or work. If the Commissioner requires a driver to prove that a restricted use license is necessary, the driver must provide evidence that proves that denying the license will result in loss of his job or livelihood and thus would be an undue and substantial financial hardship to the driver or the driver’s immediate family, or would substantially impair the continuance of the driver’s education.

A restricted use license is different than a conditional license. A conditional license is issued only with respect to alcohol or drug related offenses. Unlike a restricted use license, to obtain a conditional license, a driver is not required to prove his need for a conditional license in order to obtain one. In addition to driving for employment or educational purposes, a conditional license permits driving for a limited 3 consecutive daytime hours specified on the license.

There are certain instances where a driver is not eligible for a restricted use or conditional license. Please feel free to contact our office for more information.